Bringing Our History, Art and Culture To Life
At the South Frontenac Museum, our job is to fascinate and educate residents and visitors by bringing our history, creativity and culture to life.
We honour the people who have lived in this region over the centuries by collecting, preserving and sharing their authentic stories and artifacts. We also present stimulating experiences and exhibitions from other communities as a complement to this educational work.
History in the making
The story of the South Frontenac Museum begins with the formation of the Verona Area Heritage Society, which was registered as a corporation in 2004. Three years later, the name was changed to Portland District & Area Heritage Society. In June 2008, the society became a Committee of South Frontenac Township Council and, in 2012, the society was contracted by the municipality to manage the museum, which is located at 5595 Road 38 in the hamlet of Hartington. More recently (in 2019) the Society changed its name to the South Frontenac Museum Society.
COVID-19 & The Museum
The South Frontenac Museum is committed to do our part to keep our community safe. Please review and adhere to our safety protocols.
- Please stay home if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or if you have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19.
- Sanitize your hands upon entering the Museum.
- Face masks must be worn inside the Museum. A limited amount of masks are available at the Museum, but visitors are encouraged to bring their own.
- Please keep a distance of six feet (two meters) from the Museum Docents.
- Please do not touch anything.
- Kids games and activities will not be distributed this year to limit contact. Games are available here on the website on the Activities For Kids page.
- All visitors will be asked to sign in and out using the contact information sheet at the Museum. This will assist in contact tracing should it need to take place.
- Due to the size of the Museum, only one 'social bubble' will be permitted to enter the Museum at a time. Visits will take place on a first come, first service basis so a modest wait time may occur.